Last Updated on September 24, 2021
Looking for the best freestanding backpacking tent? Numerous adventure-loving people prefer backpacking tents due to their superior quality, performance, and ease of use.
But when you’re alone in the market to find a new tent, you might see hundreds of brands and models in front of you.
Apart from this, you have to consider several facts such as
- Tent weight
- Price and value
- Interior space
- Weather protection
- Poles and stakes
- Set up and takedown
- Storage capacity
All of these can make you quite hesitant to choose the right one. Luckily, I have come up to help you out.
Here I’m going to present you some of the best freestanding backpacking tents considering all those facts to make your purchase efficient and hassle-free.
7 Best Freestanding Backpacking Tent Review
Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL Review
- This tent features a high-volume, four-way pole design that makes opening the interior easier.
- A spreader pole and pre-curved poles of the tent provide more livable space by creating vertical sidewalls.
- Upgradation with huge pockets included on the head end of the ceiling and the foot that improves interior space.
- The new awning feature improves ventilation and makes entry-exit easier.
- Three-function Tiplock tent buckles and hubbed poles make this tent very fast and easy to pitch, even for one person.
- This tent is extremely lightweight that allows convenient carrying.
- Considering its lightweight feature, this tent is far better in wind and water protection features than most other tents at its price range.
- It features a double-layered construction and vestibule door that’s quite flexible and facilitates condensation in the tent.
- The tapered construction doesn’t allow sleeping in various directions. You may find it difficult to set up two wide sleeping pads.
The Copper Spur HV UL is the ultimate addition in the ultralight tent category from Big Agnes. This tent is a combination of balance and comfort that makes it one of the best backpacking tents available on the market.
This tent is spacious enough to accommodate two people easily while offering you large doors and headroom. The high interior volume and cross poles offer you more comfortable interior space at peak height.
The thing that charmed me most is its interconnected pole structure, along with a cross pole design that provides much headroom. Alongside, it’s completely freestanding, which means you don’t need any funky maneuver to expand it in full volume.
ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent Review
- It features a freestanding two-pole design that provides sufficient space and makes it a more pleasant and comfortable tent for solo use.
- Comes with some guylines to stake it down and added security.
- All poles are made of high-grade aluminum alloy that makes it stronger.
- The large-sized zippers keep you away from the trouble of fumbling in the cold.
- It comes with vestibules that facilitate storing your gadgets and gear outside the sleeping area, while mesh pockets provide additional storage space for storing small items.
- The combination of mesh and fabric allows superior ventilation while the polyester fabric protects you from rainfall.
- Two vents included that can be opened and closed for a better scenario as we have improved air circulation in humid weather.
- Doesn’t have optimum weather protection for extreme cold weather; hence it’s not suitable for winter camping.
No doubt, the Mountaineering Lynx 1 is one of the best freestanding tents in the One-person category. It offers sufficient livable space for solo use while providing you superior comfort.
It’s effortless to set up, and you can set it up in any terrain. However, be cautious, especially in high wind. In case you’re too worried, thanks to its included guylines that’ll keep your tent secure.
What’s about the construction? I will give it ten out of ten. It comes with premium aluminum-built poles that are the strongest on the market. However, its cross pole design justifies the inclusion of these strong trekking poles.
The Lynx tent comes with two specific designs with mesh and fabric. The upper layer is made of mesh for airflow, and the lower part is made of waterproof polyester fabric.
MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2-Person Tent Review
- It features a lightweight design with a combination of long-lasting materials and superior spacing.
- Open and spacious interior with dual-hubbed pole and asymmetrical design allows the two-person head to foot and maximizes shoulder room.
- The two side doors are more convenient to zip and unzip as well as the included pockets allow you to store your gadgets and gear easily.
- It boasts high privacy panels on the sides and is very easy to set up.
- It is equipped with a tensioner strap that makes it easy to stand firmly without re-staking.
- This tent is very sturdy and stable enough to protect campers from rough and windy weather as well as the included guylines make it the sturdiest lightweight tent.
- The velcro supports implemented in the ventilations system allow more airflow and keeps you free from bad weather.
- This tent seems to be a bit narrow when lying down; hence it won’t be a suitable option for people who love ample living space.
The most significant fact of Hubba Hubba Nx is its huge up-gradation in durability. The tent manufacturer has introduced the most advanced composite poles.
These poles are known as Easton Syclone Poles, which are flexible, lightweight, and yet, super-strong. The second thing that charmed me is its waterproof coating.
According to MSR, this waterproof coating lasts three times longer than ordinary coating. Necessarily, this tent provides superior weather protection without any issue.
Moreover, it comes with a stuff sack that allows you to store your essential things more easily. What about the ventilation? Sometimes it’s overlooked, but in Hubba Hubba, it’s just as standard as other components. You’ll enjoy fresh air in the interior all time.
Also Read: Tall Person Backpacking Tents List
North Face Stormbreak 2 Tent Review
- It provides maximum comfort while being very convenient to set up compared to other conventional freestanding tents.
- This tent comprises a pole structure that offers sufficient headroom.
- Two circular side doors can be opened almost all around and are easy to hide in the side pockets of the tent.
- There are four huge side pockets implemented each per corner that allow you to store necessary items conveniently.
- The tent pitching process is pretty straightforward as well as its attaching and staking procedure is more convenient than some other models.
- The tent fly can be opened up in many configurations that allow you to keep the flap open for better airflow.
- There are tent stakes and four guy lines that are easy to bend and easy to set.
- The side tent walls are not completely vertical and the flap can’t be extended fair enough, which means rain can drip into the tent.
As per my observation, the North Face Stormbreak 2 is spacious enough to accommodate two people comfortably. Due to its higher peak height, you’ll get more headroom.
The thing that attracted me the most was its comfortable sleeping facility. You won’t need to sacrifice your comfort due to a lack of livable space.
Some essential components are included in the tent, such as vestibules that allow you to store essential items without conflicting with your sleeping space.
I just loved its side doors that can be opened in almost all configurations, which means you have plenty of ventilation options. Don’t overlook its easy installation process that can be done within four minutes.
Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person Tent
- It features incredible peak height that ensures maximum headroom, while the spacious interior offers superior comfort while sleeping.
- The two side doors are easy to zip off at almost every configuration that facilitates more airflows.
- It comes with additional storage pockets that have enough space to store your clothes and equipment.
- The vestibules are quite large, where you can store your footwear or a pack conveniently.
- The combination of mesh and fabric as well as its gray and green colors, offers you a more vibrant camping experience in the woods.
- This tent features a dual trekking pole design that makes it easy to set up, and the attached guylines ensure additional safety.
- The special Pu coating allows repel water and the bathtub-style floor prevents water from seeping in.
- It seems to be bulkier compared to other tents in this price segment as well as its materials are not much satisfying.
If you’re looking for a budget tent, Mountainsmith Morrison 2 might be the one. Despite its low price, it has quality breathable wall fabrics that won’t be fragile. However, considering its price, the price is just okay.
The combination of mesh and other fabrics offers multiple benefits. For instance, the upper mesh layer facilitates more airflow while the PU coating fabric protects you from rainstorms.
The most significant fact of this tent is its storage pockets and vestibules that are enough to store lots of kits and equipment. Alongside, it’s spacious enough to sleep comfortably.
What’s more? This tent is pretty easy to set up; hence you can set it up single-handedly.
Nemo Kunai 2P Tent Review
- Versatile four-season tent with a lightweight design that makes it easy for backpacking while it’s strong enough to use in any terrain.
- A tapered structure with an aggressive brow pole offers superior protection from strong winds and snow.
- It comes with a large overhead vent design along with double-wall quality construction that minimizes condensation while ensuring great ventilation.
- Direct guy-out points provide more stability in windy conditions, and the premium fabric helps to repel water.
- The bathtub-style flow makes it almost impossible to stay water into the tent.
- Fast pitching system allows you to set it up within a few minutes, and you can do it on your own.
- It provides superior weather protection in any season that makes it so versatile.
- It’s relatively pricey compared to other two-person freestanding tents available on the market, and it’s not spacious enough for comfortable sleeping.
If you love mountaineering, the Nemo Kunai 2P Tent might be the best choice for you. Several things have made us love it, and its lightweight design is one of them.
The stuff sack of this tent is fully waterproof and comes with a glow-in-dark map, which shows all instructions. As I mentioned before, it’s very light weight, but you shouldn’t be worried about its performance at all.
This tent is specially designed to deal with various weather conditions and makes it most suitable for mountaineering.
It’s constructed with high-quality materials, while the advanced guy-out poles ensure better stability. Whether it’s rain, snow, or wind outside, Nemo Kunai 2P Tent has everything to rely on.
Kelty Salida Camping Tent Review
- Comes with collapsible aluminum poles interconnected via shock cord cross and the inner portion uses a clip system and the freestanding design makes it a fast pitching tent as a whole.
- The inner corners are secured by clipping and the rain fly can simply drape over the inner tent body.
- The freestanding design makes it too simple to erect this tent in any location within a few minutes.
- Spacious interior can easily accommodate two people and two separate sleeping pads and the floor comes in an optimum length to occupy a six-foot sleeping bag.
- It comes with various essential components to hang a lantern and other accessories and the gear loft included with the tent allows drying cloth overnight.
- The mesh ventilation system allows maximum airflow into the tent and keeps the environment vibrant and condensation-free.
- The collapsible tent pole design and steel tent stakes make it heavier compared to other 2-person backpacking tents.
The Kelty Salida Camping tent can be an excellent choice if you can share some weight with your tour mate. However, this freestanding tent is heavier than I have realized. Kidding a bit! Nevertheless, it comes with some impressive features that’ll be worth your investment.
At first, this tent is super fast to pitch and so convenient that you can set it up alone within a few minutes. This is a versatile tent that means you can set it up in tight forest space or in the frozen areas or even on rock.
It provides superior comfort and airflow that makes the overall experience more vibrant and comfortable. The included pockets allow you to store several things.
Now it’s time to wrap up my review; before this, I’m gonna make my decision.
As per my analysis, the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL is the one that makes me satisfied with its overall performance, reasonable price, and quality. Hence, this is my choice as the best freestanding backpacking tent.
In case you’re looking for a budget-friendly lightweight backpacking tent, the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1 won’t disappoint you at all.
Lastly, I would love to mention the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 honorably as it has everything that makes it the best contender so far.