The ultimate satisfaction of a trip can be found by following some strategy. These strategies will help you to finish your trip in a well-decorated plan. Backpacking is one of those strategies. I used to follow this backpacking strategy and do not face much problem in traveling. If you are a newbie, then I think you must go through this article. I am going to give you some backpacking tips that might be helpful to you. So, stay with me and enjoy the article.
How To Backpack – Tips For Beginners
1. Choose a destination and book your accommodation and cheap flights
At first, determine the place you want to go. The place may vary from person to person according to their choice.So, Select your preferable destination first. After fixing the spot, I think it is better to book for accommodation and flights. Booking early may give you a discount or you may be able to find cheap flights. I believe that booking for accommodation and flights early will give you mental peace. Hence, the trip will be enjoyable for you.
2. Choose a pack
Choosing a pack is one of the most important for being ready for a trip. I recommend you not to buy the pack first. Because your gear may not be fit with the pack you have purchased. This may cost you extra money. So, find the gear first then go for pack.
3. Select a pack design and size
Selecting a pack design is also a good consideration. There are different types of design and shape is available on a pack. You may go to your chosen one. However, you will find that there are tons of backpacks available that are made of lots of compartments and zipped pockets. A roll-top closure with a big single space is available too. I recommend having a backpack with a single compartment with a roll-top pack. However, there are different sizes of pack available in the market starting from 40L to 80L.
- 40L is perfect for overnight or weekend traveling with small loads.
- 60L is perfect for 3-5 days traveling with medium loads,
- 80L+ is perfect for you if you are going 7+ days with heavy loads.
4. Variation in gender
There are big differences between a men’s and women’s pack design. Because the pack available for women has shoulder straps and anatomically accommodating hip belts. However, women and men specific packs are not an advertisement for packs. So, go for your preferable one.
5. You must have a checklist
Having a proper checklist assure you that you didn’t leave anything behind. So, take proper time while you are preparing a checklist and avoid hurrying. The initial checklist of gear:
- Backpack: At first, ensure that the backpack you have purchased or borrowed fits comfortably. Load your pack with some items and go out on a test hike. If you find that the pack is comfortable on your shoulders, then it is fine for you. But, if you are not feeling comfortable with the pack then I suggest you go for the comfortable one.
- Tent: Purchase a tent that is perfect for the spring, summer and fall seasons. I recommend you not to purchase a tent that is suitable also for mountaineering as you are a newbie and not ready for mountaineering.
- Sleeping bag: A sleeping bag is the must thing for overnight camping trips. You can easily attach it to your backpack. A lightweight sleeping bag will offer you folding down neatly. You need to bring a bit heavier sleeping bag if you are going to travel in cooler weather. It will allow you to have a comfortable sleep.
- Sleeping pad: A sleeping pad should be under the checklist. To someone, sleeping may be for providing insulation. But, to others, a sleeping pad is for providing a soft and cushion sleeping surface.
- kitchen supplies: Although you won’t like to carry lots of heavy utensils. But you need to have a couple of kitchenware which would be enough for eating. you should carry plastic plates, small pans, cutlery. It won’t add much weight to your pack.
- Drinking water: On a trip, you are not always going to get clean and safe drinking water. So, it is a better idea to carry drops or tablets to purify for purifying water.
6. Try to pack early
The important thing you should keep on your mind is that you should not overload your bag at the last moment. Try to pack your backpack a few days earlier before going on a trip. It will allow you to have enough time to check whether everything is ok or not. You might also like to read my guide on packing a tent for backpacking.
Before going on a trip, make sure that your backpack suits the weight that you are going to have with you. If yes, then it’s fine. Otherwise, change your backpack or minimize the weight by leaving the less important things.
8. GPS, Phones, Beacons
If you are going to a place that is close to civilization, then you’ll be able to access cell phones. If you are going on rugged hiking or a serious off-trail that is not under network coverage, then you may take a GPS or hiking watch with you. It will be helpful to you.
9. Choosing the rights cloths
While going on a trip, you don’t need a bunch of brand new clothes. You can choose clothes from your wardrobe. For hot conditions, you need moisture-wicking clothes, water-resistant clothes for rainy days and heavy jackets in case of chilly nights.
10. Plan about your food
Having a stove on your backpack is not always necessary. Eating stoveless meals or using fire in appropriate situations is quite possible. However, if you want to carry a stove with you, then you can.
- Canister stoves: Canister stoves are light, small, efficient and simple to operate.
- Stoveless: Lots of backpackers prefer to go on a trip without any stove. They usually eat food that does not require cooking such as nuts, granola bars, crackers, candy bars etc.
Before going out on a trip, I recommend you check the weather forecasting. If the weather is not friendly, then you should postpone the trip. Otherwise, you are ready to go.
Find a good partner or friend for traveling. A good partner will have a better understanding of you. This will make your trip more enjoyable.
Never plan everything too much earlier. It may happen that you loved a place but you have already booked your flights before your trip. This may cost you extra.